Monday, April 4, 2011

Our Last Day.....

I'm actually writing this blog back in Perth, because things got a bit busy there for a while and I didn't have time to blog it....

Our time in Ghana has just about come to an end - a bit sooner than we planned - we were supposed to be leaving next week, but Warren decided he needed a bit more time in Perth before starting his new job. So we've had to condense our good-byes into a short space of time - which is probably a good thing in some ways. Poor Rita has been moping around for days now - it might be best to put her out of her misery!!

So Tuesday was our last day in Konongo. I had a visit from Comfort for a bit, and discussed some ongoing plans for Mercy Mission. I also had a visit from some of the school teachers who bought a present which all the teachers and students had contributed to - so kind. They gave me an African style dress, some cow-hide shoes(not sure if they'll get through customs in Australia!?), a wooden wall plaque of Africa, a little bag and necklace. It was very nice of them.... I have quite a collection of African clothing now - that will be for a later post!

The rest of the day Rita, Latifa and I spent cooking food because we had invited Rita's family, Joseph and his family, and Latifa and Endurance for dinner - a last supper of sorts! We cooked jollof rice and chicken, bean stew and yams, spaghetti and meatballs (my "Australian" contribution!) and of course cake! As usual they ate everything in site! It was really nice to have our closest friends from our time here in Ghana together, although it was somewhat emotional!

As soon as I said we were leaving Rita started claiming my clothes - "can I have your 'jean skirt'(denim skirt)?". So I had sorted out all my clothes and distributed the majority of them amongst the girls - Rita and her sister Asha, Endurance and Latifa. I only came back with a half-packed suitcase! We also left our older laptop with them to share, so that they can email us and Facebook to stay in touch. Unfortunately Rita doesn't really know how to use the computer, or read or write for that matter, but hopefully someone will help her with it. I also loaded a heap of photos onto a small digital photo frame and gave it to Rita so she won't forget us!! Warren left a few pairs of running shoes behind, and in true Rita form she said she was going to "sell them" to make money - always the business woman!!

We left the next morning to drive to Accra with Alahassan (our usual driver). It was tough saying good-bye to everyone. Mostly I was quite controlled, but when I said good-bye to Rita I couldn't actually speak!! I was trying to but nothing came out! That little one made a big impression on us.....

So off we went, leaving behind Konongo - the town which had been our home for the past year.

The end of our Adventures in Ghana....

No comments: