Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Big Smoke!


Wow - I can't believe its almost a week since I last blogged! Its been a busy week - who would have thought?! Amazing how my days fill up when actually I have nothing really to do!

This week we went for a trip to Accra, the capital city, for two days. Its a four hour, very bumpy drive to get there, but Warren had to go to search for some supplies for work and we took the opportunity to stock up on some groceries and house supplies. It was good to have a change of scenery, and go to a restaurant for dinner - a big treat!

I went to a shop a bit like K-mart to buy some electrical things like a new kettle, some hand beaters (to make cakes!), a hairdryer, and I splurged and bought myself a sewing machine as well. The annoying thing here is that there are so many different kinds of electrical plugs - the power points are all British fittings, but the equipment has European, South African, Australian plugs - so we're constantly changing over adapters to get the right one!

I was quite excited to buy a sewing machine, and there are some great bright coloured African fabrics that you can buy in the market here - they're also pretty cheap - about $3 per metre. So we'll see what imaginative things I can come up with....

We stocked up on some food things like cheese, butter, milk, ham, meat, chicken which you can't get in Konongo. We buy them just before we leave and put them in an esky with ice, and then hope we get home before they get hot! We've also found some funny named food - "Shito" (a kind of chilli fish paste) and "Saltycrax" (cracker biscuits) - which keep us entertained everytime without fail! I do love a poo joke!!!

No comments: