Sunday, July 11, 2010

Our Worst Dinner Ever?

Last night Warren was craving a steak - we haven't had a good steak since our last dinner at the Rivervale Hotel just before we left Perth. We had bought some porterhouse steak in Accra and they were in the deep freeze - they looked pretty good, so we'd been saving them up. We also had some frozen roast vegetables and peas - lazy vegetables really but we didn't feel like preparing too much.

We have an electric oven and stove, which I find quite difficult to cook on - the oven takes forever to heat up, and even then doesn't seem to get that hot. The stove also takes a long time to heat up but then stays really hot and burns everything! So we tried to roast the vegetables which just braised in their own juices and wouldn't get remotely crispy. The steaks were charred on the outside but too raw for me on the inside, and they were so tough! Even the peas which we cooked in the microwave for 5 minutes were only just warm and still hard.

After a few minutes of eating, we had to laugh and declare that it was probably one of the worst meals we've ever eaten! Luckily I had some good wine to drown my sorrows....

My cooking confidence has taken a battering - I cooked a cake the day before which was stodgy and raw in the middle. But I'm not yet ready to take full responsibility for it - I blame my equipment!

No comments: