Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Gods Must Be Crazy!

I woke up last night to the sound of rain - so heavy that it sounded like a jumbo jet was about to take off! Within a few minutes of the rain starting, the thunder and lightning set in - and wow! What an amazing tropical storm! The thunder was so loud it sounded like it was directly over the top of our house. We'd been told if there's lightning to disconnect all your electrical equipment (so it doesn't get fried!? I feel so safe!?), so I ran around the house unplugging our important things - computer, ipod speakers, TV, fridge and freezer; and making sure I knew where the fire extinguisher was! Not long after there was a big lightning bolt and then the power went off all together, and only came back on about 9am this morning.

I'm sure Warren would have slept through it if I hadn't woken him up thinking I was going to die! I'm not usually one to be scared by thunderstorms but this was a ripper! However it was all over in about an hour, the rain stopped completely and it was all quiet again. This morning it was lovely and cool, and surprisingly the water had drained away pretty quickly. It was as though nothing had happened! Maybe it was all a dream.....

Its the wet season at the moment, but it seems that it mostly just buckets down for a short period of time and that's it. Thankfully it doesn't rain constantly all day which could be rather unpleasant. And the rain makes it much cooler, still humid, but definitely quite manageable.

No comments: