Sunday, August 1, 2010

Baby Jacinta!







Something very exciting happened this week - our housekeeper Rita's sister Aysha had a baby girl - and she named it Jacinta! And not just Jacinta - but Jacinta Downey! How funny is that!! I tried to explain to her that she shouldn't use Downey, that it was my family name, but she insisted that she use my whole name - so there's now another Jacinta Downey in the world. Actually they also add a name for the day of the week they were born so her whole name is Amma Jacinta Downey. My Ghanaian name is Akosua Jacinta Downey.

It's quite an honour really! Must have made a big impression on her... Or maybe its because I'm so beautiful....

I've been to visit a few times now - these photos were taken yesterday when she was a week old. Notice the eyebrows that have been drawn on with kohl pencil - I'm not sure why they do that, but quite a lot of the small children have it. They don't use nappies on the babies until their belly button thing has fallen off - they just wee or poo into the blankets - so you have to be careful!

The other little boy in the photos is Aysha's other child - his name is Jo and he's six years old. He was very funny - he said his mum's boob was as big as his head - which it was!!

No comments: