Saturday, August 14, 2010
















I think I'm in love! With the French Alps (and Warren too of course!) I think its one of the most beautiful places I've been to, and has a special ambience about it that makes you calm and peaceful as soon as you arrive. Picture high mountains with snow covered peaks, crystal clear blue skies, vast meadows filled with wildflowers and Alpine villages with houses that remind me of the story of Heidi (the little sickly girl who went to live with her grandfather in the mountains, and gradually regained her strength again until she could walk again). I think I'll start wearing my hair in plaits in honour of Heidi!
My love of this area began when we arrived in Geneva (in Switzerland, but right near the French border), and went through ONE immigration checkpoint which took only 30 seconds! This in comparison to Ghana where we had just spend two and a half hours and more than 10 passport checks for goodness knows what reasons (probably just to give someone a job to do). So we were impressed with Swiss clockwork precision at its finest. We felt the need for some coffee and food before we picked up the hire car so we stopped at an airport cafe where I had salmon and avocado which I had been craving and wasn't able to get in Konongo! By this stage I was a happy girl!
An hours drive later we arrived in the town of Les Houches, just near Chamonix, and drove up a winding mountain road to our chalet. Its fairly small and cosy, and you can hardly turn around in the shower, but is big enough for us and has a fantastic view across the valley. Later than evening I made myself comfortable on the front porch drinking wine and eating cheese, sausage and olives - it was then that I decided I was in love!

No comments: