Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Another Marriage Proposal??

Over the past two weeks I've been doing a few trips to some of the local villages to meet people with disabilities or injuries - I'll write another post about that soon. However, when we go to the villages you have to go through a formal process of meeting the chief, who is dressed up in formal robes, speaking to his advisors and "stating your intentions". His messengers then sound a gong and tell the people and then you can go to meet them.

After the formalities, one of the chiefs at a village called Patrensa called me to sit beside him and said he wanted me to be his queen (his wife)! He's 92 years old, and apparently has 64 children!!!!! Sly old dog.... The chiefs are allowed to have as many wives as they like, and if you are one of his villagers you're not allowed to say no! He told me that he would "sack" his current wife and marry me, and then when he died (which could be anytime now) I could have everything - including 11 cars and 20 houses (including one in Brooklyn, New York where one of his children lives). Sounds like a good deal to me - Warren only has one old car, and half a house!!!

Queen Jacinta of Patrensa - how does that sound?!

No comments: