Thursday, December 9, 2010

Marketplace Acceptance

A strange thing happened today - I went to the markets this morning with Rita to buy fruit and vegetables, where I've been going every week or so since I've been here. There are hundreds of people at the markets selling things, but I've found my favourite places - like the lady who sells the best tomatoes, the woman opposite her sells onions, only one lady ever has carrots and another one usually has good apples and bananas.

I know that I usually pay "obruni" prices - ie the price is more expensive than local prices, but I figure it doesn't matter too much - its still reasonably cheap. Normally it costs me about $20 for fruit and veg for a week.

However today I bought tomatoes first, and they were really cheap. I thought maybe they were in season so were cheaper. Then the onions were also really cheap, then the next lady put some extra capsicums for free, and the lady selling limes gave me two bags instead of one.... By this stage I was wondering what was going on, and said to Rita "Everything is cheap today" and she said "Yes, they like you - so now you don't pay obruni prices".

Yay - I'm officially a black lady at the markets!

No comments: