Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Mercy Mission Christmas Party






I'm constantly amazed at some of the people with disabilities that I've met through our Mercy Mission visits. The other day we had a Christmas party for everyone, and I saw this guy push himself in a wheelchair backwards up a bumpy hill about 100m, with only one functional leg, to get to the party! And that's what he has to do everyday... (shouldn't have picked such a hilly town to live in!).

It was a fairly big logistical exercise organising food and drinks for 250 people. The hardest part was picking everyone up in a big school bus from 12 different villages, made all the harder by everyone having some kind of disability - no electric lifts for getting wheelchairs on and off the bus! We almost got it right - except we forgot about 30 people from one town, so we had to go back to visit them the next day!

I think they all had a good time, and appreciated having a fuss made of them. They really are such happy people given the circumstances. One boy with cerebral palsy whom I'd met before, came rushing/wobbling up to me on his crutches with a big smile on his face to shake my hand and say hello. Sweet.

No comments: