Friday, February 18, 2011

Thank you Alec's Meats

I'm sure I've mentioned before about the lack of quality meat here - for some reason its always so tough, so we've taken to cooking everything in a slow cooker for at least eight hours to make it tender enough to eat. But we really have been craving a good steak every now and then....

So on our recent visit to Perth we visited the local butcher near my parents house - Alec's meats - and he vacuum packed some scotch fillets for us, and I bought them back in my suitcase!! I figured it would probably work because I left Perth at night time and once in the plane it would keep cold, then a quick two hour stop-over in Dubai, then in the plane again. Then I get the meat in Accra and put it straight in the fridge at the hotel, then the esky for the drive back to Konongo - voila! Fresh tender steaks for dinner.

There were six precious steaks, but now there are four because we had our first steak treat last night. And was it good - you bet! You could cut it with a butter knife!

No comments: