Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Kids Christmas Party






(Sshh.... I'm actually adding this post in February although the Christmas party was in December they day before we left to come back to Australia. I hadn't had the time to download the photos until now....)

So this was the Christmas Party for all the children of the mine employees (and a few extras too!) - about 1000 children! So they had tents set up on the oval with tables and chairs, all the children got some chicken and rice to eat, and then got completely spoiled with lollies, biscuits and soft drinks. They don't have those things too often so they were bouncing off the walls!

They also had some competitions and activities like musical chairs, a dancing competition, a poem-reciting competition (?!), and then as per usual everyone danced - they love a dance around here! I also was dancing with the kids, but they all wanted to crowd around me and touch me (I was twirling them around), then one little one fell over and almost got trampled in the stampede! So the security guards had to step in and tell them to all go away - so I couldn't really dance anymore - too dangerous!!

I also took my camera with me, so all the kids wanted their photos taken and then to look at it on the screen - I took about 200 photos I think! Here's some of them... You might notice in one of the photos is a little albino girl - she goes to the school here so I've seen her quite a lot. The other kids always say she's my sister (and in fact, her skin really does look like mine - white and freckly!), but poor little thing - she gets really embarressed when they point her out. It must be bad enough being the only white girl in a black population! I've also seen one other albino woman at another village - apparently they get treated quite badly because people think they are witches or evil.... On the other hand, they don't seem to think I'm evil at all!!

No comments: