Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A quiet happy birthday



Last Wednesday was my birthday - a fairly quiet affair - well I was trying to keep it quiet because I didn't want to draw attention to the fact that I turned 36!!!! Horror of all horrors! Where did all the years go?! I only feel like I'm 24!

However at least 36 is a nice number - I have this thing about "prime number" birthdays - I don't like them! They're so random and messy. I like nice neat numbers - so 36 is actually a really good number - divisible by 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 24... So I'm not really looking forward to 37 - its got nothing!

I think I should stop now - because that's sounding really weird....

So for my birthday - I made myself a cake, and then had a few visitors during the afternoon to help me eat it. I got a present from Comfort (who runs Mercy Mission) -shown in the picture above. Its a traditional African style, loose fitting dress and scarf. The girls here laughed and danced when I tried it on (Rita was rolling on the floor!), and said how beautiful I looked! Personally I don't think scarves are really my thing.....

Warren cooked me a delicious dinner - Indian - and he gave me a Sony e-reader for a present - which is very cool! Now I can download books from the internet - cheaper, more convenient (especially here in Ghana where there are no bookshops!) and better for the environment! I thought perhaps I wouldn't like the fact that you don't have a book to hold and open, but actually its very easy to hold and read so all good.

Except you don't get to put it up on your shelf like a trophy when you've finished, so that everyone thinks you're really smart and have read loads of books!!! Or pass it along to your friends - unless they also have a Sony e-reader?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jacinta, Happy belated birthday. Am glad your are enjoying Ghana. I also like the fact that you are in Konogo and not Accra. I will be in Ghana in July, I have a son with special needs, so will be at hand in hand at Nkronza Brong Ahafo, If you are still in Ghana then may be we can meet?

Am Afua, and live in london.

Unknown said...

Thank you for a very enjoyable and light hearted insight into Ghana. It was most fascinating, especially their word meanings!!!

I found your blog through a stock market forum pertaining to an Australian mining company that is looking for gold in Ghana.

Tony, Sydney.